How do I connect to Windows VPS in Windows 10?
Remote Desktop Connection is a program available with most of the Microsoft Operating systems that allow you to make a connection to your VPS or Windows Server. This program is known as Remote Desktop Protocol(RDP).
This RDP connection allows you to access your server directly from a remote location as if you were sitting in front of the machine.
First, make sure that Remote Desktop connections are enabled on the VPS or windows server.
How to connect to Windows VPS Server?
To connect to your server using Remote Desktop Connection, please follow these steps:
- Click and navigate to Start > Programs > Accessories > Remote Desktop Connection OR simply type “mstsc.exe” in the search items box under the Start menu and click enter key.
- In the Computer field, type the IP address or hostname of the server you are trying to connect to.
- Click Connect.
- After a few moments, the Log On to Windows dialog box will appear in a separate window.
- Enter your user name and password and click OK.
- The Remote Desktop window will open and you will see the desktop of your VPS or windows server.
- Now you are able to use your server and do stuff as per needs.
After connecting to your server, if you want to increase the default session timeout of your server, please follow my previous article about how to set up a maximum session timeout for remote desktop connections.
Note: If you are using shared hosting accounts then this function is not available for you. To use Remote Desktop Program you must have your own virtual private server or dedicated server that you want to access remotely.
Also, be sure you select Log off and NOT Shutdown. If you select Shutdown it will shut down your server and technical support will need to manually restart your windows server.